Check the Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, April 8, 2006

    random

    I'm about to go through a reading spurt again.  I can tell.  I have soooo much free time backstage during Morrie; all I'll ever do is read and knit.  So, I've got a pile of books ready to go, the one on top being, of course, A Feast for Crows, which I STILL haven't finished. 

    This week (tech and first two previews) I read Lipstick Jungle, which Charlotte randomly gave me (along with the tequila, mozarella sticks, margherita mix, and single red envelope).  I thought, "ooh, fluff, that will get me through tech nicely", and it did, and it was indeed fluff, but it kinda pissed me off at the same time that I enjoyed reading it.  I mean, how does an author like her (of Sex and the City fame), become so highly regarded?  The characters were NOT very likeable, not believable, there was no plot, and in terms of a fluff book, the "romance" scenes weren't too interesting.  So why does she sell so many books?

    Then I randomly got to thinking about GOOD books tonight, and thought of Robin Hobb, and how when I finished reading her final book in the Tawny Man trilogy I felt such a sense of loss that it was over.  I think I cried, not just because the end was touching and whatnot, but because I wasn't going to get to read any more about those characters or that world.  And she's such a good writer.  So I was depressed.  I need some more books like that to read.

    Don Mackay has been lending out all his SAG "For Your Consideration" movies to us interns.  He's like a lending library.  I'm saving the really good stuff for later and am just trying to keep a steady stream going of movies that are worth watching just b/c they're free!  So far I've watched Proof (the play is better), Sexy Beast (disturbing), The Prize Winner of Definace, Ohio (random), and The Affair of the Necklace (not so great).  The ones I'm really looking forward to getting to are, of course, Munich, Syriana, and Squid and the Whale.  And Rent, I guess. 

    Speaking of Don Mackay, it's a small world, because Jordan and I realized that he went to UCSD, which is where Devon and Jim went, so we asked him, and he knows Jim Peck AND Devon Allen AND Beth Schachter.  Welcome to the social circle of theatre, where anyone slightly successful must know all the other slightly successful people out there.

    Anyway, got to take my sick body to bed.  Tomorrow's opening, and I'm looking forward to yet another opening night party.

    No comments: