Check the Tweets

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, September 19, 2006

    ...swimming through curtains...

    Okay, updates are long overdue, so I thought I'd take a minute or three to do that whole updatin' thang.  First of all, Milwaukee is great.  I love the new intern company, love finally having Amanda back in town, love where I live in relation to work, and just love being back here in general.  Except it's already getting cold out.  Boo on that.

    My show, Half Life, opened on Sunday night.  I served as Whitney's ASM on the show, and let me just say, what a fabulous experience.  I could not be happier with the first show of my season.  It's been a while since I've felt so proud of a show I've worked on and felt so completely that I was a vital part of the team that put it together.  It was my first time working with Whit on a show, and I really felt like she trusted me to do my thing throughout the rehearsal process and felt more relaxed as the SM knowing she could count on me and not have to babysit me.  I had a similar great experience working on Tuesdays with Morrie at the end of last season, but this show just required a lot more of me.  The show is only an hour 20 minutes long, but in that time there are THIRTEEN different scene changes, which I was a huge part of putting together.  The backstage life on the show is CRAZY, because we literally have no space into which we have to cram a shitload of furniture, as well as 10 actors, and Zinky, and me.  It's a very choreographed jigsaw puzzle back there, and I was the person in charge of deciding which part would fit where when.  And making sure it happens exactly the same way every night, and that everyone remembers/knows what they need to do, and keep everything safe, AND know what I have to do MYSELF. 

    So, when the show opening went very well, I was proud of it in a way that I haven't experienced for a while.  This was also my first time working with Laura Gordon, who directed it.  She's one of the Resident acting company members here at the Rep, but last season I just didn't work on any of the shows she was in, so we didn't know eachother until rehearsals started.  I loved working with her, and she was so appreciative of everything I did, and I can't wait to work with her again, on ACC (which she's in).  You know your director thinks you're good at what you do when they write a card to you on opening night that starts off, "You are a remarkable woman...".  Sigh, it makes me smile.

    This week I'm catching up on some stuff with Guys on Ice, and doing the understudy run for Half Life.  It'll be good.

    My horoscopes have been SO right on recently.  Everytime I read mine at work, I comment on it, so now Whitney is always like, "You ALWAYS say that about your horoscope, Becca."  It's true, shrug.  I could write about other stuff going on right now, but methinks I'll save that for another day.

    :)

    No comments: